Monday, January 28, 2013

DIY dip-dyed ombre sweater

One of the newest trends I am loving right now is the dip-dyed ombre look. I've seen pants, dresses, sweaters, jackets, and over-sized shirts sporting this hot trend.

This ombre sweater sells for $24.80 at Forever 21

I decided, hey, maybe I can make my own ombre sweater! So I did!. There's tons of videos on youtube on how to ombre pretty much anything, if this is something you wanna try to do as well.
I found an oversized sweatshirt at my local Goodwill for like 5 bucks and I got the dye from Hobby Lobby for like 3-4 bucks. So overall I spent less than $10!
So how did I do this? First you prepare the dye solution and then place it in a bucket (you need to do this while the water is still hot!). Next you dip the bottom half of your sweater in the bucket. Keep the water moving. Since this part will have the strongest color, keep in the bucket for at least half an hour. (You probably do not want to be holding the sweater for the full 30 minutes so try to find a way to hang it while at the same time have the bottom half soak in the bucket). Last, lower the sweater into the bucket a little more and leave in here for another 15 minutes. After this, wring it and rinse it in cold water. You can then place it in the dryer or hang it to dry and Ta-dah!




I'm kinda obsessed with studs right now, so I put some on my sweatshirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment